Subject: Re: hcl: apps database.c, 1.5, 1.6 database.h, 1.4, 1.5 main.c

Re: hcl: apps database.c, 1.5, 1.6 database.h, 1.4, 1.5 main.c

From: Christi Alice Scarborough <christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:33:51 +0100

Per Holmäng wrote:
> Christi Alice Scarborough wrote:
>
>> Dave Wiard wrote:
>>
>>> Touché. If no one else picks up songdb.pl I will. I don't know how much
>>> I will use the database (don't at all right now) but I can manage
>>> maintaining the Perl script.
>>

>> Actually, what we could really do with is someone to port this to C
>> and GTK, so we can have a pretty X/Windows executable that will enable
>> those of a less techically minded nature to create a database. At the
>> moment, it's something of an arcane rite.
>>
>> And no, I'm not volunteering.
>>
>> Christi
>>
> I could do some GTK programming, I just started trying to help develop
> rockbox so I'm not sure if I could do anything other than a gui though...

To be honest, a GUI wrapper around various programs (SongDB.pl, the
firmware patcher, etc.) would be a very nice thing to have. Especially
if it could do things like download and unzip a firmware to patch for
you so it could be used as part of the installer. It'd be nice to make
Rockbox installation as "plug and play" as we possibly can. At the
moment, we don't have anything like that.

As to implementing the features in C, that would basically involve
porting the Perl or Java apps to C. Rockbox is currently built
completely using software with available source code (even the manual is
written in OpenOffice and the Windows Installer is made using InnoSetup
running under WINE), and it'd be a very good thing to keep it possible
to build all of Rockbox without having to buy any software. This is why
  I'd suggest going the cygwin/gcc/GTK route rather than using a
proprietory compiler. Other than the fact that the utility could also
be made to work on Linux (and possibly Mac) also.

It's a good project for someone with GUI programming skills who wants to
get involved with Rockbox without necessarily diving into the embedded code.

Christi