Subject: How To Get Patches Into Rockbox (was Re: Any objections against a feature-freeze for the 2.5 release?)

How To Get Patches Into Rockbox (was Re: Any objections against a feature-freeze for the 2.5 release?)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:00:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Frederic Devernay wrote:

> Done. But the problem is how should I "advertize" the patch so that the main
> developpers take a look at it? I see that Ray Lambert's A-B repeat patch is
> more than 5 months old and is still assigned to nobody.

We hardly ever assign them so that is not a good way to measure things.

I'd say reminding us about the patch(es) by posting here is a good way, if not
done too often.

Patches sometimes just get lying around because no developer has felt directly
responsisble or interested in the patch and sometimes because the one(s) who
feel responsible for the particular area it addresses just have no time for
it. There is just so many things to do and so little time.

Of course making sure that the patch follows the guidelines and applies
cleanly is a good way to make it get applied faster. And joining IRC and
bugging committers directly about it is also (it is also a good way to quickly
work out the possibly small quirks that many patches expose).

We often feel under-manned, so we are always ready to offer skilled and
interested patch contributors full CVS commit access to help us avoid bottle
necks (and add yet another one that can apply other's patches!)