Subject: Re: buffering changes

Re: buffering changes

From: Miika Pekkarinen <>
Date: 2005-07-06

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Pedro Vasconcelos wrote:
> I noticed a different buffering behaviour on the ihp-1xx after compiling
> today's cvs -- using the view audio thread debug option I can see that
> the cpu_boost is called well before pcm buffer is empty. It used to run
> down the pcm buffer almost empty and only then use cpu_boost to refill
> it..
> This new method results in higher average cpu frequency when playing
> music. What's the reason for the switch (or is is a bug)?

The pcm buffer low watermark level was increased because some people were
reporting problems that pcm buffer goes empty on certain situations. Now
I have decreased the level much and I hope the current setting would
prevent these problems from happening. However, if crossfade is enabled we
need to keep the buffer always as filled as possible.

Miika Pekkarinen <>