Subject: Re: buffering changes

Re: buffering changes

From: Pedro Vasconcelos <>
Date: 2005-07-06

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:21:13 +0300 (EEST)
Miika Pekkarinen <> wrote:

> The pcm buffer low watermark level was increased because some people were
> reporting problems that pcm buffer goes empty on certain situations. Now
> I have decreased the level much and I hope the current setting would
> prevent these problems from happening. However, if crossfade is enabled we
> need to keep the buffer always as filled as possible.

Hi Miika,

I suspected something like that --- however, I'm not using crossfade and
with Q6 oggs the buffer only drops to about 70% before starting
refilling again. This is clearly suboptimal; does the buffering
algorithm test for crossfade?

Pedro Vasconcelos, School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice
but in practice there is." -- Tony Davie