Subject: Re: Bootbox beta test

Re: Bootbox beta test

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:35:25 +0200 (MEST)

> Hi Jörg, Bootbox seems to be running without problems,

Which platform did you test?
I have no feedback about Player and Ondio SP yet.

> a little bit
> spartanic (no charging screen, no "real" USB screen).

It says "charging...", doesn't it?

> To have more space in ROM
> is necessary now because the rombox.ucl is becoming bigger and bigger.
> But: Bootbox is only used for rescue scenarios, so its better to leave it
> spartanic and simple and safe.

Correct. It already has the luxury of text output.

> I just have to try it with batteries completely dead.

Thanks!

I have a bit of a hen and egg problem with Bootbox and the upcoming v2.5. It
would be nice to have rombox back for all Archos platforms with v2.5, also
nice if the code base of Bootbox is also based on v2.5 to have something
reproduceable, right now it's just an arbitrary snapshot.

We need to change the start address of Rombox to where Bootbox ends, rounded
up to a 4K flash sector. I'd rather like to pad Bootbox up to some constant
size, such that the Rombox image doesn't have to move around if Bootbox
grows a bit and just crosses into the next sector.

Another thought would be to completely give up the non-Rombox ucl, make
Rombox the standard way of flashing. Why would anybody not want it?

Jörg