Subject: Re: Song rating/playcount not working?

Re: Song rating/playcount not working?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:45:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Jonas H. wrote:

> Which steps do I need to take to enable saving of playcount and song
> ratings? I have a freshly created rockbox.tagdb made with the current
> songdb.pl, and the files appear when I browse using the tag db.
>
> However when I play a file, the playcount increases to 1 during the first
> few seconds, when I play it the next time, it still starts out as 0.
>
> Changing rating for a file has no effect either.

songdb.pl only writes hashes for mp3 files at this point, so I would guess
this makes oggs not possible to get runtimedb for. Are you by any chance
playing oggs?

I _do_ think that the runtimedb code should be fixed to do a poor man's
approach in case there's no hash in the tagdb, since it'll be a pain to always
keep up the songdb prograams up to date with the recent codecs etc.

Or possibly we should make songdb.pl add a hash on the file name for the cases
we don't yet have hashes based on audio data.

The songdb.pl script also fails to include songs using other extensions than
.mp3 and .ogg, which it really should to be able to use the other codecs with
rundb.

Actually, the tagdb programs are all in rather sorry states:

1) the perl version lacks all this as mentioned

2) the java version isn't in CVS, it has no docs and no descriptions on how
    to build it. There's no license info and it is >90 separate source files!

3) the C version Nielse has started that was recently added to CVS is not yet
    working

There's still no GUI for any of these so our end users struggle.