Subject: Re: Song rating/playcount not working?

Re: Song rating/playcount not working?

From: Jonas H. <>
Date: 2005-07-08

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:45:19PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> only writes hashes for mp3 files at this point, so I would guess
> this makes oggs not possible to get runtimedb for. Are you by any chance
> playing oggs?

Not a bad guess, but I am in fact playing both mp3s and oggs. The info
is kept while I'm in the same dir, (the song is still buffered perhaps?).
If I play a file, rate it, forward to the next, and then rewind back,
the playcount is 2 and the rating is whatever I set it to. As soon as I
stop, however, the info disappears.

> I _do_ think that the runtimedb code should be fixed to do a poor man's
> approach in case there's no hash in the tagdb, since it'll be a pain to
> always keep up the songdb prograams up to date with the recent codecs etc.
> Or possibly we should make add a hash on the file name for the
> cases we don't yet have hashes based on audio data.

Yes, that's probably a good idea.

> The script also fails to include songs using other extensions
> than .mp3 and .ogg, which it really should to be able to use the other
> codecs with rundb.
> Actually, the tagdb programs are all in rather sorry states:
> 1) the perl version lacks all this as mentioned
> 2) the java version isn't in CVS, it has no docs and no descriptions on how
> to build it. There's no license info and it is >90 separate source files!
> 3) the C version Nielse has started that was recently added to CVS is not
> yet
> working
> There's still no GUI for any of these so our end users struggle.

In my opinion, the C version should be the priority, since it has the
best potential for being portable (keeping a perl runtime environment is
sortof a hassle for some people, and don't even get me started on Java)
and it could probably also be included in a gui app relatively easily.

Jonas H
                     -- I'm using Free software to post this. Are you?