Subject: Re: Song rating/playcount not working?

Re: Song rating/playcount not working?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: 2005-07-08

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Michiel van der Kolk wrote:

> songdb.pl should probably just hash the first 32kb of the ogg for now, thats
> better than nothing.

True, just hashing from the start will be a fair "quick and dirty" approach
for all songs done with codecs that the script doesn't have code for that
finds the first sound frame. Good point!

But still, the script has to include files with common extensions for all the
codecs that Rockbox happens to support at the moment. That is awkward, but I
can't think of a way to avoid it. I guess the amount of codecs supported will
settle soon anyway.

> All code of it is gpl, i checked recently...

That is goodness. I think you should mention that in source headers and you
should include a COPYING file when you distribute it. As the GPL itself
explains.

> Should i check it in as source in cvs....? its a lot..

I don't think everything Rockbox-related has to be added to the Rockbox CVS
tree, I'm fine with parts being hosted and developed separately.

But, this tool seems to be the one recommended in the forums and all over, and
thus people will come to us and ask when they have problems and they will
report to us when they find bugs. And then it would help if we had access to
the code so we could fix bugs and add features etc.

If it _isn't_ in the Rockbox CVS repo, then we should make it clear to users
that the tool is made and maintained outside of the Rockbox project. It would
however put it in a weird situation, since we already have two tagdb tools
that are being kept in the Rockbox CVS repo.

I guess all this is a complicated way of saying I want a clarification of
where we stand.