Subject: building RB on OS X

building RB on OS X

From: Jvo <jvo_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:01:25 +0200 (MEST)

finally I succeeded in installing binutils and the gcc-3.4.4-m68k
cross-compiler on MacOS X (10.2.8 _at_ atm). there were some hurdles to get
over, it's a long time that I had to install a 'development environment'
like this. I'm more used to have a prepared IDE and just start coding.

when building rockbox I expected to have the same result in the end like if
I download the bleeding edge or one of the daily builds, but this is not the
case. it ends with firmware and apps folders where you have to move (and
search in those numerous files) manually the .rock files to the player. also
because on the player there are different folders for plugins and viewers I
have to take care loading them to the correct locations on the player. with
the downloaded builds you can simply extract the zip to the player root and
overwrite the old files.
actually at the moment I need VirtualPC for moving the files to the player
because OSX hides the .rockbox folder. but still then you have loads of
._*-files on the player finally. any sugerstions to avoid this?
did anybody wrote a script to create a ready to move to the player .rockbox
folder?

I did some improvements in battery level filters and calculations for
slightly improved accuracy for the iriver players. tested already on my
iHP140 and works fine. also compiles without any warnings or errors.
How can I commit changed files to the recent CVS. register for cvs and then
update?

greetings and thanx for the great work! :)

jvo