Subject: iRiver Codec - RT encoding and Fixed point library

iRiver Codec - RT encoding and Fixed point library

From: Robin V. <robinsp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:48:59 +0200

Hello,

I follow the rockbox porting effort to iriver from the very beginning
and I'm quite impressed by the work done so far.

My freetime is limited and maybe I won't be able to write any line of
C (but who knows), but I was curious about the "Real Time encoding"
subject.

There are comments in the wiki about ShineMP3 encoder and fixed point.
Is there anybody here interested by the subject?

Quote from the wiki:
What about a fixed point library ? Can't we use a floating point
algorithm with a fixed point library ? Furthermore, it seems that
there is some sort of fixed point instructions in certain versions of
the coldfire.

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.13/13.11/Fixed-PointMathSpeed/
http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/reports_presentations/V4PRES.html#mac

Does someone here know if we could use floating point code with a
fixed point (mainly inlined) library ? Is lame too complicated for
this use ? (maybe it is).

Furthermore, such a library could be used by other modules of rockbox...

What do you think about this ?

Robin