Subject: Anyone up for ALSA?

Anyone up for ALSA?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:56:09 +0200 (CEST)

Howdy

I just wrote up a first stab at providing sound in the X11 (on Linux)
simulator. It doesn't work. :-/

Even though the code is still very basic and crappy, I fell over some annoying
ALSA initialization issues which aren't really my standard neighbourhood
issues so I thought I'd cry for help at once...

The problem is this:

I wrote a tiny little stand-alone app first that uses ALSA fine and that plays
PCM data (and I can hear the glitch in my speakers when it plays some random
stack data). But when I convert that very same code into a function for
Rockbox (there's a new PCM playback thread started that will deal with all the
ALSA/PCM playback stuff) the initial call to snd_pcm_open() fails and it
prints this informative blurb on stderr:

ALSA lib conf.c:2715:(snd_config_hooks) id of field i is not and integer
ALSA lib conf.c:3052:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing
configuration
cannot open audio device default (Invalid argument)

Here's this first patch:

         http://daniel.haxx.se/rockbox/alsa-1.patch

1. Beware, it is not even close to fit for commit yet

2. You need to edit your main Makefile and add "-lasound" along the libs to
    link with.

Anyone?