Subject: New thoughts about the volume

New thoughts about the volume

From: (wrong string) é Scheffler <AndreScheffler_at_kosmopoliten.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:55:11 +0200

Hi,

I know there have been several discussions about the volume in rockbox and
that it's lower then the volume of the original firmware on some devices,
i.e. iRiver H1x0.
As often explained the reason for that is the Bass/Trebble setting which
lowers the overall volume by up to 24dB (or was it 16dB?), so that no
clipping occurs.

But what has been overseen in this discussion is, that mostly the
Bass/Trebble never reaches the 0dB-border, so you would only need to lower
the overall volume by maybe 20 dB or even less.
So what I would "recommend" is an adjustable "volume-limiter", so you could
say "Limit the max. volume to: -4dB" or whatever you feel comfortable with
and depending on the music you are listening to.

So far,
André