Subject: iRiver Recording and WavPack

iRiver Recording and WavPack

From: David Bryant <dbryant_at_impulse.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:10:53 -0700

Hi,

I have been working on WavPack encoding for the last couple of weeks. I have
put default lossless encoding into libwavpack and have created a viewer
plugin called "wav2wv" that will convert a wav file to a WavPack file. This
all seems to work fine, although there are still areas of decoding and
encoding that can be further optimized with assembly. Lossy encoding will
also be easy to put in there, but I thought that until I have an easy way to
select the bitrate I might as well keep things simple.

I looked over the pcm recording stuff that exists now, and figured that it
would be pretty easy to just drop in some experimental code to do WavPack
encoding using libwavpack. Unfortunately, I discovered that this code is not
linked against the codec libs and I was not able to figure out to get the
makefiles to do this for me (although I have no clue with makefiles).

I guess that the way this was all intended to work is that the encoders
would be dynamically loaded also, like the decoders, although none of this
seems to have been designed or implemented yet. Until there is more than one
usable encoder, it might be a little wasteful to spend time working on
something more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyway, I think I need a little direction here. If someone could help me
with the build so that libwavpack is linked into the main application (even
with encoding it's quite a bit smaller than the other codecs) I could make
some progress getting WavPack recording working. It seems like nobody is
currently working on the recording utilities, so I could also make some
enhancements there while I'm in the process.

On the other hand, if there is some scheme in the collective mind as to how
all this is supposed to work, or if somebody is just about ready to start
working on the recording stuff again, I could concentrate on optimizing
libwavpack and maybe putting some options (like lossy) into the wav2wv
plugin.

David