Subject: Re: == NEW DEVKIT v3.11 AVAILABLE ==

Re: == NEW DEVKIT v3.11 AVAILABLE ==

From: Andrew 'ashridah' Pilley <ashridah_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:48:21 +1000

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 22:49 +0200, Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> BlueChip wrote:
> > Before I document a work-around to this problem ...Would any of the core
> > guys care to comment on any reasons why this cannot be included as a
> > part of the build process?
>
> The makefils actually did this not long ago, but we removed it. The
> reason is that make wasn't very good at handling cross compilation and
> native compilation in the same build, resulting in weird errors on some
> operating systems.

Uh, isn't that the idea behind using $HOSTCC and $CC?
ie, CC for the target, HOSTCC for things that need to be compiled for
the host?

For the simulator, CC would be equal to HOSTCC, but for the iriver and
archos builds, you'd set CC to m68k-elf-gcc/sh-elf-gcc and leave HOSTCC
as just gcc...

It's the convention I've run into in the past, at least.

Andrew