Subject: new patch: jump-back scroll

new patch: jump-back scroll

From: Ray Lambert <>
Date: 2005-07-22

Earlier today I submitted a new patch that I'm calling "jump-back
scroll". I'd like to see if anyone is interested enough in this to
justify my spending time to "finish" it. The description from the patch
page explains it all pretty well:

    This patch implements an alternative quasi-bidirectional scroll for
    rockbox. "Jump-back scrolling" differs from the normal bidi scrolling
    by jumping back to the start of the string rather than right-scrolling
    (who can read backwards-scrolling text, anyway? -- especially while
    driving your car? ;)

    The animation steps in jump-back scrolling are thus:

    1) display the string with left-most character visible
    2) pause for the "scroll delay"
    3) scroll left until right-most character is visible
    4) pause again
    5) jump back to the left-most character
    6) repeat at (2)

    The current version of this patch replaces the old bidi scrolling (note
    that the "Bidi Scroll Limit" option still works; to achieve jump-back
    scrolling all the time I recommend you set "Bidi Scroll Limit" to
    the max
    value (200%)). A complete/proper implementation should probably
    offer an option to choose between jump-back and old-bidi. Maybe

The last line is the operative one for purposes of this post. So,
please give me some feedback if you have any interest in this.

PS: I've been thinking about implementing this change for a while: I
*think* it would be easier (for me, anyway) to read. This first version
of the patch is also a proof of concept for myself to see if I really do
like it better. :-)
(So far it looks good.)