Subject: Re: NEW Iriver for the blind

Re: NEW Iriver for the blind

From: Jonas H. <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:00:49 +0200

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:43:46AM +0200, Arnaud wrote:
> I heard about a manufacturer of MP3 player caled nero or Neuro,
> which have made the firmware open source.

The name is Neuros. Information can be found on
http://www.neurosaudio.com/ . They actually approached the Rockbox
project on IRC not too long ago while they were holding an IRC meeting,
discussing the next-gen Neuros (they're dumping their current line - it
may already be out of production, but I'm not sure). I think they were
mostly looking for any available input at that point though,
brainstorming every idea they could think of.

> I may able to find the information. but these hard isk MP3 players do
> have pretty good specs
> they can play / record audio and video etc.
>
> Maybe we could adapt in some way Rockbox to these unit or sugest a
> talking interface to the firmware developpers.

The problem with the current line of devices is that they employ a
Texas-Instruments DSP chip, which has no free compiler available. This
is obviously a major problem and a Rockbox show-stopper.

Maybe the next-gen will provide a more approachable hardware-set.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk