Subject: Re: 20050729 audio buffering

Re: 20050729 audio buffering

From: Magnus Holmgren <>
Date: 2005-08-01

Pedro Vasconcelos wrote:

>>I have a build with somewhat lower watermark, and also a bit larger
>>buffer. With that, I get a boost ratio of about 31-32% on a file around
>>180 kbps (-q6, with replaygain on). Perhaps I should commit those
>>changes soon (I do want to test a bit more though).
> Good, that would be on level with the boost ratio sans vorbisgain.

Well, I've made some more tests, both with and wihtout my modifications,
and I haven't been able to detect any large difference at least, say a
few percentage points or so. But then again, my measurements haven't
been very exact. I'll see if I can make them more reliable.

Regardless of this, I have a feeling the watermark level for boosting
has been somewhat arbitrarily chosen. At the moment it is 1.1 second
(remaining in the buffer), which seems a bit high to me.