Subject: How to easily get fonts

How to easily get fonts

From: Jochen Schulz <>
Date: 2005-08-02

Hi there!

I have been using Rockbox on my brand new iRiver H120 for two weeks now
and I am deeply impressed. Kudos to all the people who made this

However, Rockbox provides a lot of fonts but I was unable to decide
which one to use. As I have some MP3/Ogg files with german language
tags, one criterion for font decision is that it has to support
iso-8859-1 encoding which rules out some fonts I might have used

Yesterday I googled around for some bdf files and found out that I can
get a bdf file from every font on my (Debian) system via a font server.
So I installed xfs and tried it:

$ fstobdf -s unix/:7100 -fn \
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 > fixed-12.bdf

(fstobdf is in the package xbase-clients)

Then I used convbdf on fixed-12.bdf, copied the resulting file to my
iRiver and - it just worked! (Ok, I made the story shorter than it
actually happened.)

Am I the first to find out how easy this is or is there another reason
why it is not documented? I could submit many fonts this way. I have not
yet found out about the exact license of all the fonts, but since I got
them from my Debian system I suppose they should be DFSG free and thus
acceptable for Rockbox.

If you want to test it, you can try them:
(maybe down sometimes, it's just my DynDNS host)

This directory currently only contains .fnt files because (shortsighted
as I am) I already have deleted the respective .bdf files.

I eat meat and am concerned about bugs which are resistant to
[Agree]   [Disagree]