Subject: Re: rockboxx becoming non-responsive when changing volume a lot

Re: rockboxx becoming non-responsive when changing volume a lot

From: Magnus Holmgren <>
Date: 2005-08-02

Frederic Devernay wrote:

> I noticed that a few days ago:
> Play a song, and keep adjusting the volume, from 0 to 100 to 0
> back-and-forth.
> After a few seconds, you'll see the volume setting adjusts more slowly,
> and rockboxx becomes very slow to respond to keypresses. Actually, at
> that point, the volume doesn't get adjusted anymore. STOP+PLAY doesn't
> cure this, now you have to shutdown.

I noticed that too now (I usually don't make large volume adjustments; I
guess that's why I haven't noticed it before). I'm not sure what commit
caused this, but I did find something that might explain a thing or two:

In sound.c:set_prescaled_volume, I added a pause (of 2 ticks) between
the two uda1380_* calls there, and that seems to have solved the
problem. Not the prettiest fix, but it does suggest that Rockbox calls
the uda* functions too quickly somehow (I haven't yet tried with a pause
in wps.c:setvol). Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the hardware
can make something out of that...

(I also noticed that a define in the iRiver i2c driver was removed;
adding it back (thus removing a line of code) didn't have any effect on
its own.)