Subject: Re: How to easily get fonts

Re: How to easily get fonts

From: Ronald Teune <rtwolf_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:36:06 +0200

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:35:27 +0200, Andrew 'ashridah' Pilley
<ashridah_at_netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Wait, aren't the fonts processed as data in rockbox, not linked in as
> object files? Given the degree of separation between them, I'd say there
> wouldn't be a problem from the GPL side. The GPL is quite explicit about
> data not being subject to the license of GPL'ed code, after all. About
> all I could suggest is it'd be a problem if it was the built-in default
> rockbox font that's built into the source code.

That is true. But right now it is: firmware+codecs+plugins+fonts = rockbox
= gpl. If this font is going to be included, it has to become: rockbox =
gpl, except for fonts blah and blah, those are BSD.

> If it's the BSD+advertising clause license on the font that's the issue
> here, then just acknowledging it won't affect the fact that the source
> code is GPL'ed, either, does it?
>
> Now, if you object to having to advertise it, you wouldn't be suggesting
> a separate distribution of the font anyway, so why can't you distribute
> the font, and acknowledge it appropriately?
>
> Andrew

According to the website I linked in an earlier mail, the GPL states that
a file distributed under GPL can only be GPL-only. No modifications
allowed. So you can put it on your website, put the advertising clause in,
but can't force others to do the same, if released under GPL. That's the
problem.
Man, I should print the GPL once and read fully through it back and
forth... never done that.

Ronald

                        _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )