Subject: Multi-display (lcd remote) design discussion

Multi-display (lcd remote) design discussion

From: Jonas H. <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 23:12:03 +0200

Okay, so I'll try and start this discussion even though I don't have
that much knowledge of the Rockbox architecture and certainly not of the
bits covered by this. However, I thought that maybe I could spark some
discussion.

The issue is, Rockbox is now running on a device with 2 displays - one
on the unit, and one on the remote. Right now, the remote LCD is only
used by plugins. As far as I understand it, there are 3 "things" that
need to be adapted to this:

- WPS
- Menu
- Browser

Plugins handle an additional display however they see fit.

This is probably where I'll start making a ton of factual errors, do
correct me when I do.

If I understood right, one of the ideas Jens Arnold had for this was to
split up the display-handling in two threads and have them each respond
to keypresses individually. This way they could *potentially* work
seperate of eachother, where the remote only reacts to keypresses from
the remote, and the main display only reacts to keypresses from the
unit itself. If you wanted to keep them synced, simply feed both threads
all keypresses.

A perhaps simpler approach would be to just split out the Browser and
menu drawing in a seperate function that takes the items to display,
currently selected item and height in lines and draws on either display.

For the WPS, it should of course allow different configuration for each
display and update both if displayed.

Now.. however all this will work, I have no idea, but I hope someone
with the actual abilities will pick it up from here and start some
discussion on implementation details, which seems to be the main issue
as far as I understand it - that noone is really sure how it should be
implemented.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk