Subject: Re: ROCKBOX AND NTFS ???

Re: ROCKBOX AND NTFS ???

From: Jonas H. <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 04:50:33 +0200

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:11:32PM -0400, David Pedersen wrote:
> Can the Archoes jukebox be run with a hard drive that is formatted with the
> NTFS? Or does it have to be FAT32?

No. This will not work. The jukebox can only boot from FAT32. (and even
if it could boot from NTFS, Rockbox only understands FAT32)

> How big a disk can you actually put into the jukebox?
>
> When I tried to format a 60gb disk, with FAT32, Windows reports that the
> disk is too big for FAT32. And the Swiss Knife, that has been suggested,
> ends up with an error report, that Windows wants to send; when I try to
> part/format the drive.

I'm afraid I can't help you much, except to say that it is indeed a
limitation of Windows XP that it won't format drives larger than 32GB as
FAT32 (completely arbitrarily I might add, presumably in a misguided
attempt to push ntfs unto the users). So you need to find a program that
will format your Jukebox as FAT32. I'm mostly a Linux person, so I'm
afraid I can't help you there.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk