Subject: Re: replaygain and id3v2 / RGAD tag?

Re: replaygain and id3v2 / RGAD tag?

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:09:29 +0200

Frederic Devernay wrote:

> It sounds like the code in id3.c calls parse_replaygain() to get
> replaygain info consisting of text tags like
> "replaygain_track_gain=...", similar to the way replaygain is included
> in Ogg comments or APEv2, but the official replaygain page says it
> should be stored in a RGAD tag, as binary data (and unfortunately the
> peak amplitute is a float).
>
> Who's right?

Well, I don't know. :) When I thought about "real" ReplayGain support
for MP3, I had a look at how Foobar2000 (0.9 beta) wrote ID3V2 tags for
it, and that's when I found the text tags (in TXXX frames).

At the time, I didn't notice if there was an RGAD tag, but I'm not sure
if it was there or not. Later I switched back to Foobar2000, and that's
when I noticed the RGAD tag. I searched a little for it, but didn't find
any useful information on the contents of the frame (only one dead
link). What I did find was that some versions of the Foobar2000 0.8
ID3V2 plugin, and one other player (don't remember which) supported it.

If someone has Foobar2000 0.9 installed, please let me know if the RGAD
frame is still created (I can't be bothered to install it just to check
that... :).

> I would need that part which parses binary replaygain info to implement
> replaygain on WAV files too, so if id3v2 should use it also then that
> binary parsing function should be done in replaygain.c I guess.

Where would the tag be stored for wavs? But extracting the values from
the RGAD frame and converting them to something usable for replaygain.c
should be easy enough... (And I'll soon commit something that should
make it a little bit easier :).

   Magnus