Subject: Re: replaygain and id3v2 / RGAD tag?

Re: replaygain and id3v2 / RGAD tag?

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:46:07 +0200

Frederic Devernay wrote:

> err... MP3Gain (not ReplayGain) stores the ReplayGain gain (rounded to
> the closest 0.5dB) in each MP3 packet and adds replaygain info (as APEv2
> tags, which still aren't yet supported by rockbox but ask me for a
> patch) to the file.

Sorry, rounded to 1.5 dB. :)

> -MPC, Ogg and APE have native ReplayGain support.
>
> -MP3 has no native support for the ReplayGain tags (thus the use of
> mp3gain is recommended), but such tags can be read by the player from
> the id3v2 or APEv2 tags. Rockbox supports id3v2 tags. Foobar2000
> supports APEv2 and id3v2 tags.

I'd only say that MPC has native support. At least it is stored within
the file structure (and not tagged on as comments), though it seems like
the decoder doesn't do anything with it. Ogg Vorbis uses tags and
requires explicit support in each player, in the same way as Foobar2000
does it for MP3.

   Magnus