Subject: Re: DSP: low pass filter

Re: DSP: low pass filter

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:27:10 +0100

Hold on, hold on. A low-pass filter is WAY easier than an FFT - FFT is
overkill for beat detection. Check out implementations of Butterworth FIR
filters, or even just hack something together by averaging a bunch of
samples together: at 44.1kHz, if you average 128 samples at a time, you
have a rough-and-ready 180Hz filter.

The existing peakmeter code looks at peaks over a frame-worth of samples -
you just change that so that it builds an average every 128 samples, and
then looks at peaks across all of those averages.
Should be a piece of cake.