Subject: Re: I miss thatlittle beep big time,

Re: I miss thatlittle beep big time,

From: Ray Lambert <listlizard_at_interthingy.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:11:18 -0400 (EDT)

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Ray Lambert wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something but, couldn't you play the "Recording..."
>> voice and then start the actual recording immediately afterwards? That
>> also avoids recording the voice. I'm assuming that initiating a
>> recording
>> is not something that is prone to failure and that the voice really
>> serves
>> only to confirm the *record command*.
>
> Then the recording won't start until way after the button was pressed,
> and I'm sure that is an unwanted side effect. The worst case is when
> pausing and resuming a recording, where the audio buffer must be flushed
> to disk to be able to load the voice file. The resumed recording can be
> delayed by several seconds.
>
> Linus

Ah, okay. I was thinking that a minimal delay wouldn't be a problem but I
guess I underestimated it. I suppose you could minimize the effect of the
pause/resume scenario by proactively flushing the record buffer and
immdiately when the resume command comes, theoretically making it no worse
than the initial record case. OTOH, this would force folks to have to
anticipate the delay, which would be undesirable. So I guess a very short
beep is superior as it minimizes the delay time.

~ray