Subject: Re: Thoughts on Multiple Fonts in Rockbox

Re: Thoughts on Multiple Fonts in Rockbox

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:30:48 +0200

On 18.08.2005, Linus wrote:

> XavierGr wrote:
>> We had discussed this with Jens in the past. He was not so
>> optimistic about it because of the memory that fonts might
>> use. I tiold him about loading 2-3 user selected fonts and he
>> mentioned that this could eat up a lot of memory. (If I
>> remember correctly) Sure it would be a good thing to
>> implement but I am guessing that it needs a lot of work.

> Well, we all know that this will use up more memory. This is
> why the font cache size could (according to Daniel's idea) be
> dynamic, much like the browser/playlist size.

Again, for the records: I don't think that the memory is a
problem here. (Although my personal opinion is that it is a
waste. I don't really need multiple fonts.) Afair the font

However, many parts of rockbox which deal with text output are
currently using a line-based approach, which will break for sure
with different font heights. Using several fonts in the WPS
together with scrolling lines is probably the most complex case.
That's why I think this part needs quite some work *before*

On a related note, I'm all for using computed styles, as that
would save RAM. However, there is a similar problem as with
multiple fonts if it should be possible to use more than one
style per scrolling line.

Regards, Jens