Subject: More advanced playback features...

More advanced playback features...

From: Sebastian Henriksen <henriksens2710_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:33:49 -0700 (PDT)

(Warning: there may be some grevious errors by my part
in the following message)

Just noting here the stuff I want implanted is right
at the bottom. The top bit is just an overly verbose
buildup.

There are quite a few features that I would love to
have on my H140 that I feel would be possible to
implant. These are things I can do with the original
firmware but it is messy.

A DJ style tempo shifter would be great to have. One
that keeps the pitch the same and has decent quality
would be far too tough to run on the H140 I am sure.
The speedup would be limited to how fast the codecs
can decode. On the original firmware there is not
much of a range and it is rather stepped. With this
feature you can beatmatch a song on your rockbox to
some other song.

Using the study mode on the original I input a time
that equates to a bar of music. If I press forwards
or backwards the music will skip one bar and if you
have got the time interval right this will be
practically seemless.

With the A-B mode I can make a loop. However the
original pauses each time you set the values which
make it very hard to make a seemless loop.

This would all be possible to do on rockbox but I am
sure everyone who would never touch these things would
call it feature bloat.

Therefore I guess it would be best to implement this
in a plugin and that way all the required
functionality would could be stuck on one screen.
Also stuff like a beat tapper that would set the time
interval for looping or seeking could be put in, which
really could not fit anywhere in the WPS.

However, for all this to be possible I would guess the
following would need to be possible in the firmware:

The pitch shift. Since 48000kHz files are supported
as far as I know by rockbox a similar thing is already
being done.

Some feature that would allow a plugin to cache a song
at certain times... (having dificulties explaining
here) For gapless playback, the next song's data is
loaded so no gap is heard in the transition between
songs. For a study mode both times elapsed-x and
elapsed+x would want to be held in memory so they
could be skipped to without a gap. An A-B plugin
would also cache the song at time A so it could skip
back smoothly.

There, end of ramble!

Shebb