Subject: Re: Thoughts on Multiple Fonts in Rockbox

Re: Thoughts on Multiple Fonts in Rockbox

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:49:05 -0600

:: However, we will need font caching anyway, and somewhat more
: sophisticated than for multi-font support, if we want unicode
: support (a much more valuable thing than multiple font support,
: imho).

I've added complete unicode font file support to Microwindows,
and that's what the rockbox font structure is based from. I'll
have to re-look at the font structure, but it should be very easy
to add unicode font support to rockbox. (The table
offset sizes tend to get wider, making all font footprints larger,
though)

There are other considerations for unicode support, which
have to do with whether we'd like optional specification
of text output in UTF-8, or UC-16. A flag could be used
to specify the text output encoding, if desired, or
all text might have to be specified in a single format (which
is harder for programmers). I've got more input on this
if desired.

: Plain text output is simple, we can even drop the line-based
: output functions and enforce using lcd_putsxy(). However, we
: need to implement a suitable mechanism for scrolling text.
: As long as we don't want to allow more than one font per
: scrolling item, this seems manageable....

Each line of text needs to have a maximum character height,
which is simple enough, considering that all fonts have
an easily accesible max height. The scrolling then uses this
value for scrolling logic.

Regards,

Greg