Subject: Re: Thoughts on Multiple Fonts in Rockbox (fwd)

Re: Thoughts on Multiple Fonts in Rockbox (fwd)

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:16:45 +0200

Hallo ,

*** Weitergeleitete Nachricht, ursprünglich von Jens Arnold am 25.08.2005 ***

Hello Greg

> :: However, we will need font caching anyway, and somewhat
> more : sophisticated than for multi-font support, if we want
> unicode : support (a much more valuable thing than multiple
> font support, : imho).

> I've added complete unicode font file support to Microwindows,
> and that's what the rockbox font structure is based from. I'll
> have to re-look at the font structure, but it should be very
> easy to add unicode font support to rockbox. (The table offset
> sizes tend to get wider, making all font footprints larger,
> though)

> There are other considerations for unicode support, which
> have to do with whether we'd like optional specification
> of text output in UTF-8, or UC-16. A flag could be used
> to specify the text output encoding, if desired, or
> all text might have to be specified in a single format (which
> is harder for programmers). I've got more input on this
> if desired.

I'd say all internal texts should be UTF-8. Then we need to
support one other encoding internally - UCS-16 for VFAT file
names. Support for additional codepages should be part of the
plugin library, and could then be used by the text viewer etc.

> : Plain text output is simple, we can even drop the line-based
> : output functions and enforce using lcd_putsxy(). However, we
> : need to implement a suitable mechanism for scrolling text.
> : As long as we don't want to allow more than one font per
> : scrolling item, this seems manageable....

> Each line of text needs to have a maximum character height,
> which is simple enough, considering that all fonts have
> an easily accesible max height. The scrolling then uses this
> value for scrolling logic.

A simple box-based concept should work well here.

Regards, Jens
*** Ende der weitergeleiteten Nachricht ***

MfG, Jens