Subject: Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

From: [IDC]Dragon <>
Date: 2005-09-01

> uh.. the twiki pages need a little work. sorry to be picky. its just
> that newbs are going to try this and create toast.

Toasting it is quite difficult, the flashing procedure is packed with sanity
checks and a CRC checksum. You'd really have to mean breaking it.

I tried to improve the wiki. I'm no native speaker (here: writer), feel free
to brush it up, too.

Rest of email for the audience, I got this as private email.

> > How can I test it?
> so the 'it' is 'bootbox' -so any sentence with 'it' or 'the file' in
> context refers to bootbox .. yes? um better to be explicit.
> > Have a working and recent daily build of Rockbox on your disk,
> > including the ajbrec.ajz/archos.mod file in the root. Download the
> > file for your model,
> the file.. is that bootbox? and since bootbox .zip has TWO files in it,
> which one? (its your choice: either norom.bin or .bin)
> > unzip into the root of your box. Flash it with
> > "firmware_flash.rock".
> it again. WHICH it? which file?
> does this mean just click on the .bin and let the running rockbox work
> out what to do, or does it mean re-naming it to the single name that
> the tool recognizes and then running the tool explicitly?
> > Bootbox will only come into action when you
> > hold "F1" during powerup (or "-" on Player, "back" on Ondio).
> ...once successfully flashed ...

Satte Provisionen fr GMX Partner: