Subject: Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

From: George Michaelson <ggm_at_apnic.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 19:04:56 +1000

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:27:02 +0200 (MEST)
"[IDC]Dragon" <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de> wrote:

> > uh.. the twiki pages need a little work. sorry to be picky. its just
> > that newbs are going to try this and create toast.
>
> Toasting it is quite difficult, the flashing procedure is packed with
> sanity checks and a CRC checksum. You'd really have to mean breaking
> it.

Thats good to know. indeed, the flash tool does ask for an F1->F2->F3
sequence on my V1, you can hardly complain you aren't warned (speaking
as a user :-)

> I tried to improve the wiki. I'm no native speaker (here: writer),
> feel free to brush it up, too.

I made some minor changes. I think your changes clarified things fine
btw. Please feel free to undo my edit if you don't like it.

I may be factually wrong, I expanded on running from the disk image to
clarify you can [F1] boot or ROLO it. I only *think* you can ROLO, if
thats wrong please let me know so I can correct it (this is to get out
of the rom image, so you can flash rom)

> Rest of email for the audience, I got this as private email.

oops! I didn't write for a wider audience. if I was excessively rude
to you in personal mail, please accept my apologies.

-George