Subject: Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

From: Mike Bartz <mob_at_bartzfamily.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:58:17 -0400

Hi all,

I have flashed the new bootbox on my v2 recorder. It works great --
no toast! :-) Then I put the Sept 1st rombox daily build on there as
well. Normal boot works, F1 boot goes to bootbox which then rolo's.
After that, I removed the AJZ file, F1 booted, and saw that bootbox
asked to go to USB mode. I was able to do that.**

** is for the fact that my v2 recorder often needs 2-3 USB
connect/disconnect/connect before Windows sees it as a disk drive. It
does this on all machines. Bug or just something with my unit? It's
done that from day one.

Thank you for your work on this!
Mike

On 8/31/05, [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> impatient people caused me to do a pre-release, prior to v2.5, see:
> http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BootBox
>
> I did prepare firmware images with both BootBox in the first and a daily
> build of ROMbox in the 2nd part. (With the 2nd just for safety, in case
> bootbox should give a problem). Flashing such an image leaves 228 KB behind
> BootBox, more than enough to give Rombox back. Normal safety rules and
> disclaimer apply, of course.
>
> We can now officially distribute the images, since they don't contain Archos
> code any more. In future they will go without the 2nd image, very
> lightweight. Now that it fits for all, perhaps ROMbox will become the only
> supported way of flasing, why would anybody not want the 150 KB gain?
> Startup on Ondio is a bit faster, no decompression any more. The other
> models look faster, but Rockbox still has to wait for the disk spinup.
>
> So long
> Jörg
>
> --
> Lust, ein paar Euro nebenbei zu verdienen? Ohne Kosten, ohne Risiko!
> Satte Provisionen für GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner

Mike Bartz
mob_at_bartzfamily.net