Subject: Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

Re: ROMbox is back, for all flashable Archos

From: George Michaelson <ggm_at_apnic.net>
Date: 2005-09-02

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:58:17 -0400
Mike Bartz <mob@bartzfamily.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have flashed the new bootbox on my v2 recorder. It works great --
> no toast! :-) Then I put the Sept 1st rombox daily build on there as
> well. Normal boot works, F1 boot goes to bootbox which then rolo's.
> After that, I removed the AJZ file, F1 booted, and saw that bootbox
> asked to go to USB mode. I was able to do that.**
>
> ** is for the fact that my v2 recorder often needs 2-3 USB
> connect/disconnect/connect before Windows sees it as a disk drive. It
> does this on all machines. Bug or just something with my unit? It's
> done that from day one.

USB drivers on different OS, and the chip in the Archos can cause this.

Its not just you, and its not just Archos: I get this with NetBSD, and
with Archos, CF cards, iPods.. It depends on the USB chipset both
sides, and how they test for bulk-only mode, 1.0, 1+, 2.0, attach, the
phase of the moon, chicken entrails etc.

-George