Subject: SourceForge BTS considered harmful

SourceForge BTS considered harmful

From: Jonas H. <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 02:20:12 +0200

I've been spending a bit of time trying to close as many
bugreports and feature requests as I could stand, but..

This thing (the SourceForge bug/feature-request/patch tracking system)
is giving me the creeps! I don't like it. It's just.. annoying. There's
no way to mark duplicates or relations between bugs etc.

Also, it's slow as molasses.

Not to mention that I have to log in ALL THE TIME because SF keeps
forgetting who I am, and then helpfully tells me "WE REMEMBER YOU!"
after I log in.

Now I have no experience whatsoever with working with other BTSs, but I
can't imagine that they're all as annoying as this one. I would hope
not.

I'm beginning to think that this may be half the reason why there are so
many invalid/outdated/duplicate entries that I've been able to close
without thinking twice about it (but with a significant amount of
teeth-grinding thanks to the wonderful SourceForge).

Any opinions on switching to using something non-SourceForge for
tracking bugs, feature requests etc.?

As I said, I've no experience with any of the alternatives, which seem
to be (judging by a quick google):

 - Bugzilla (all over the place)
 - Debbugs (can be used, using only emails)
 - GNATS (It's GNU, how can it not be wonderful? ...)
 - Mantis (php/MySQL/web - if it's anything like SF, leave it!)
 - Flyspray (it kills bugs, see?)
 - Roundnup (it wasn't funny the first time. Really.)

Okay, I'll stop there, but mention that there are more where they came
from:
http://directory.fsf.org/devel/debug/Bug_tracking_systems/

Or maybe I'm just being bitter because SF is being annoying and you
should all just ignore me.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk