Subject: SourceForge BTS considered harmful

SourceForge BTS considered harmful

From: Jonas H. <>
Date: 2005-09-02

I've been spending a bit of time trying to close as many
bugreports and feature requests as I could stand, but..

This thing (the SourceForge bug/feature-request/patch tracking system)
is giving me the creeps! I don't like it. It's just.. annoying. There's
no way to mark duplicates or relations between bugs etc.

Also, it's slow as molasses.

Not to mention that I have to log in ALL THE TIME because SF keeps
forgetting who I am, and then helpfully tells me "WE REMEMBER YOU!"
after I log in.

Now I have no experience whatsoever with working with other BTSs, but I
can't imagine that they're all as annoying as this one. I would hope

I'm beginning to think that this may be half the reason why there are so
many invalid/outdated/duplicate entries that I've been able to close
without thinking twice about it (but with a significant amount of
teeth-grinding thanks to the wonderful SourceForge).

Any opinions on switching to using something non-SourceForge for
tracking bugs, feature requests etc.?

As I said, I've no experience with any of the alternatives, which seem
to be (judging by a quick google):

 - Bugzilla (all over the place)
 - Debbugs (can be used, using only emails)
 - GNATS (It's GNU, how can it not be wonderful? ...)
 - Mantis (php/MySQL/web - if it's anything like SF, leave it!)
 - Flyspray (it kills bugs, see?)
 - Roundnup (it wasn't funny the first time. Really.)

Okay, I'll stop there, but mention that there are more where they came

Or maybe I'm just being bitter because SF is being annoying and you
should all just ignore me.

Jonas H
                                                   -- Watch this space