Subject: Re: Updated... Hebrew Translation!

Re: Updated... Hebrew Translation!

From: Liberman Shachar <>
Date: 2005-09-04

> (I'd put this in the tracker, but SourceForge is not being cooperative)
Why is that? really, waiting _anticipationly_ for an answer.

> Thanks a lot! Looking very good. Only a few comments:
> 1) You should probably not translate the quickscreen texts, since
> they'll be gibberish.

I've tried adding some ### tags on the ones who caused problems... the thing
is those are the same strings used in other places in menus > getting
uneven, sometimes hebrew sometimes english translations. I would have done
that if there was a way of doing it the right way (?)

> I think the rockbox standard font should come in all character encodings
> currently in use, and the lang files should be able to specify which one
> to use. Something should be done about it at least - maybe a job for
> LangV2?

I agree, that what I thought should be done. I'm sure arabic has the same
exact problem and other non-latin encodings.
I would love if anyone would translate the correct font to hebrew encoding
or else direct me to it (and maybe some instructions regarding fontforge as
well :)

p.s. there is some sort of a unicode patch on the tracker. I haven't tried

> 2) There are a bunch of strings with no value:

No good translation (or can I put like 5 letters for every character there?
I guess not: eng: "%d%% %dh %dm" )

yeah. it's a point.

I can acctually translate those and have no one understand anything. this
are all very common computer shorts.

> If they shouldn't be translated, just say so here and I'll copy the
> english phrase - leaving them unset in the translation is confusing (to
> my language-checker script at least).

and yeah it's only your language-checker script... I have left this
untouched by purpose so it would be clear there isn't a real translation for
it that fits...

> Committed.
> --
> Jonas H
> rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk
> -- I'm using Free software to post this. Are you?
        but using cygwin is very nice!
        I hope some day I would only use linux.