Subject: Re: Recording screen: breaking the law

Re: Recording screen: breaking the law

From: Ray Lambert <listlizard_at_interthingy.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:52:02 -0400

Philipp Pertermann wrote:

>Rockbox isn't ergonomical when you have recorded something. I'd like to
>improve its behaviour - even before the grand ui overhaul. I put my thoughts
>and first attempts here:
>http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BreakingTheLawForRecording
>
>What do you think? Please discuss!
>
>Phil

I've given this some thought, considering the current configuration and
some of my own use cases, etc., and I've come up with the following
suggestions:

Note that I'm personally satisfied with the way the recording screen is
right now. So, while I do think that your ideas are good and would be
useful in some scenarios, I'm generally in favor of preserving the
status quo. I think these suggestions do that in large part while still
allowing for your ideas. Here's what I would do:

Create a new menu, which I'll call the "Recording Disposition Menu".
This menu is displayed automatically when a recording is ended using the
STOP button. When this menu exits, it returns to the recording screen.
The STOP button is one way to exit the menu; thus, when the menu isn't
needed, pressing STOP twice will approximate the previous behavior. The
menu contains items such as: "Playback", "Rename", and "Delete" (all in
reference to the just-completed recording). I would also add an item to
the "Recording Options Menu" to disable the "Recording Disposition Menu"
for those who just don't want or need it.

There's only one more way to end a recording (that I'm aware of) and
that's by pressing F3 while recording. This causes the current
recording to end and a new recording to begin immediately (effectively
inserting a "cue" into a longer continuous recording, such as a
concert). Inserting the "Recording Disposition Menu" here would disrupt
the whole purpose of this feature, so I can't see how it could be done.
But I think that's a reasonable trade-off for functionality: if you need
the cuing capability you cannot also have control over disposition. Of
course, you can easily do all that dispositive stuff later anyway.

What do you think? Would that satisfy your needs, or did I miss
something? Is there another way to end a recording that I missed? (I
guess there's the shutdown case, but I think the solution in that case
is obvious: no menu.)

~ray