Subject: Re: rasher: firmware id3.c,1.110,1.111

Re: rasher: firmware id3.c,1.110,1.111

From: claus <claus.news_at_schweiz.ch>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:46:47 +0200

Hello Rocker, hello List,

Rocker wrote:
> snip:
> If you take offence with the list of genres, and want to campaign against
> interoperability, perhaps take your complaints to those who defined the
> genres, rather than the RockBox developers who are (just like WinAmp and in
> fact all the other software developers) using the exact same list...

According to wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3> and commented
as such in the source code of Rockbox:

|Genres
|ID3v1 defines genres numbered 0 through 79 and Winamp extends the list
|from 80 to 147.

The genre we are talking about has the number 133.

So the "de facto" standard seemed to be set by some people at Winamp.
So it would be interesting to ask the people over there "who invented
such a genre?"

By the way at <http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.txt> the genre list stops at
125, before the "incriminated" genre.

I also found sort of a "history" of the ID3v1 genres at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pjrcmp3/message/55>
where it is stated that genres 116 - 141 have been introduced through
Winamp 1.90 around April 13, 1998 (April again :-/).

<http://members.fortunecity.com/mp3live1/htms/winampnew.htm>
Shows a old changelog of Winamp so these genres have certainly been
added in the versions 1.81 or 1.82. (still no clue why)

Regards,
Claus