Subject: Re: List Somewhat Back

Re: List Somewhat Back

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:47:14 -0400

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:07:50 -0700, Dave Wiard <lists_at_wiard.net>
wrote:

>Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Joseph Jones:
>>
>>>Somebody attacked the wiki through a vulnerability, and my
>>>understanding is that this also gave them access to other parts of the
>>>Rockbox infrastructure. Namely, the mailing list.
>>

>> The tiwki vulnerability enabled everyone to execute shell comands with
>> the privileges of the www/wiki user. The attacker launched 'rm -rf /'
>> ("Delete everything" in UNIX) and that deleted everything the user was
>> allowed to delete.
>
>Gotta love pricks who attack a site that does nothing more than provide
>a sweet, open-source, replacement firmware for jukebox players... I'll
>gladly play host to a backup once the main wiki is up and running. I've
>got more than enough disk and my download bandwidth is 7 Mbps. I can't
>really host a mirror to serve data (sloooow up speed) but I can house
>lots of data for indefinite time on a regular basis.

I can do the same on my website. I have a gig of space, mostly unused
behind an OC3. Someone contact me directly and I'll give you write
permissions so you can back up daily or whatever you like. I have a
2TB Linux disk farm on my LAN (3mb DSL to the world) that already
periodically backs up my website to local drives so that would be
double redundancy.

John
---
John De Armond