Subject: Re: List Somewhat Back

Re: List Somewhat Back

From: Neon John <>
Date: 2005-09-20

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:07:50 -0700, Dave Wiard <>

>Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> Joseph Jones:
>>>Somebody attacked the wiki through a vulnerability, and my
>>>understanding is that this also gave them access to other parts of the
>>>Rockbox infrastructure. Namely, the mailing list.
>> The tiwki vulnerability enabled everyone to execute shell comands with
>> the privileges of the www/wiki user. The attacker launched 'rm -rf /'
>> ("Delete everything" in UNIX) and that deleted everything the user was
>> allowed to delete.
>Gotta love pricks who attack a site that does nothing more than provide
>a sweet, open-source, replacement firmware for jukebox players... I'll
>gladly play host to a backup once the main wiki is up and running. I've
>got more than enough disk and my download bandwidth is 7 Mbps. I can't
>really host a mirror to serve data (sloooow up speed) but I can house
>lots of data for indefinite time on a regular basis.

I can do the same on my website. I have a gig of space, mostly unused
behind an OC3. Someone contact me directly and I'll give you write
permissions so you can back up daily or whatever you like. I have a
2TB Linux disk farm on my LAN (3mb DSL to the world) that already
periodically backs up my website to local drives so that would be
double redundancy.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN