Subject: Re: Latest romable version

Re: Latest romable version

From: <joerch.net_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:13:15 +0200

Hey John,
> I have 5 recorders
(one for me, one for the restaurant and 3 backups

wowww. I only have one (brandnew) backup. But my 3 1/2 years old recorder V1 just don't want to break...

>I finally zorched the first set of NiMH batteries from ordinary use. A
little over 2 years of at least one practically full discharge and
charge each day.

2 years, pretty good. I think your excessive rockbox usage is "battery friendly", full discharging before recharging.

>Perhaps you programming guys could consider doing a "rockbox lite"
version with #ifdefs that strips much of the bloat like that ID3 stuff
so that a version would continue to fit in ROM?

I also thought of it because there is meanwhile much stuff in rockbox that some users never use (extended bitmap WPS, hebrew, bookmark, database and so on. By the way, the database is something that I won't miss. especially the (quite new) possibility to insert search results in the running playlist.

Rockbox lite is not an option i think. Its better to use an old, stable daily build. I collected some "milestone-versions" and have one for maximum play time in my box which I can rolo into.
Just "hack" the binaries to change the .rockbox path to something like .rockold and all plugins and other stuff can coexist with an actual build.

Joerch