Subject: Re: Collecting information about Iriver iFP players

Re: Collecting information about Iriver iFP players

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:08:43 +0200

Tomasz Malesinski wrote:
> I will put the tools on the wiki soon, after I tidy them up a little.
> I guess that there are no legal problems with reverse engineering the
> firmware and putting the collected information on the web, even if the
> official documentation of the chip on which the player is based
> (PNX0101) is not public. Can anyone confirm this? I am also going to
> post location of some routines in the firmware.

Reverse engineering (deconstructing a product to study how it works) is perfectly legal both in USA and Europe. Publishing your research results is fine too.

What you are not allowed to do is publish large chunks of Iriver's firmware, or circumvent a protection device that would give you access to copyrighted material that you could not otherwise access (such as DRM music).

--
Björn