Subject: Re: Rockbox version 2.5 released

Re: Rockbox version 2.5 released

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2005-09-22

On 22.09.2005, Ronald Teune wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:55:30 +0200, Björn Stenberg
> <bjorn@haxx.se> wrote:

> snip

>> Among the many changes are:
>>
>> - Fixed Red Led of Death problem

> Hmm.. Lately I'm biking to school again with the archos in my
> pocket. Last Tuesday I got three RLD's within 5 minutes. So
> it's not really fixed. I guess it's really orientation-related

I don't think that you can get 3 RLDs within 5 minutes. You
would need to wait some time to distinguish a true RLD from a
mere "disk stopped, rockbox waits for timeout and retries"
situation. This can take more than 30 seconds, even if you stop
shaking the disk. If you continue shaking the disk, it will take
even longer, but rockbox shouldn't lock up any more.

Technical background: Usual harddisks recover themselves from
error conditions, but the Hitachi DK23DA series is unusual. It
stops responding in certain situations, so rockbox needs to
reset the drive and retry after the timeout has passed. Linus
added code to do this more than a year ago, but his code
contained a deadlock due to an oversight. That's what I have fixed.

Regards, Jens