Subject: Re: Why not iPod?

Re: Why not iPod?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: 2005-09-24

Neon John wrote:
> That said, is there any reason why the iPod isn't considered for a
> RockBox port? It would seem that with a port of Linux running on the
> thing, there should be enough info out there for a port.

The reason is that the PortalPlayer chipset on which the iPods (and many other players) are based is a very proprietary thing with no docs whatsoever available without signing very restrictive NDAs.

As you say, with the iPodLinux project having done much legwork figuring out the hardware, this is becoming somewhat less of an issue.

Some may argue that Apple/PortalPlayer should not be rewarded for such unfriendly behaviour by getting a Rockbox port. However I think it's safe to say that the iPods are selling pretty well with or without our help.

--
Björn