Subject: Re: Sudden Death

Re: Sudden Death

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 05:29:38 +0200 (MEST)

> My two-year old FM Recorder, already running 2.5 and flashed with
> bootbox, all of a sudden doesn't recharge and doesn't turn on with the
> AC adapter. The green light just blinks intermittently, showing there is
> not enough juice to turn on.

Could be a contact problem, try cleaning the battery contacts. Whileyou have
the battery out, measure its voltage, if you have access to a meter.

The battery consists of 2 cells, which are connected in parallel when inside
the unit. Check them independently.

If one or both are low, you could try to charge them externally. The
sophisticated way would be with a lab supply set to *below* 4V (say,
3.8V)and current limit to perhaps 0.5A. The low tech brute force way would
be to use the charger, just somehow wire it directly to the cell (tape,
rubber bands, etc.) and charge briefly. Don't walk away, check the
temperature of the charger and the voltage at the cell (the charger will
collapse down to cell voltage). I haven't tried the latter, but should work,
with some caution.

The voltage at the cell must not exceed 4V, under no circumstances, to avoid
damage. No need to charge it full, you just want some startup energy.

Jörg