Subject: Player recommendation?

Player recommendation?

From: Gert Brinkmann <g111_at_netcologne.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:30:32 +0200

Hello,

I hope I may ask this here, sorry if it is a FAQ, but I did not find
something in this direction on the rockbox pages: I am looking for a
portable mp3/ogg-player and searched through the web. There are some
features that are a must:

1) not only mp3, but also ogg/vorbis support
2) gapless playback
3) mountable and fillable as normal usb-storage device (usb 2.0) with Linux
4) Browsing through the music-repository by directories/filenames is
more important for me than by ID-Tags.

5) I do not need (and do not want to pay for) video playback.

Requirement 1) filters out many players and 2) does not seem to leave a
player in the result set. (There was only rio/karma that is no longer
produced, if I am right.) So I came across the rockbox webpage some time
ago and found that this firmware does fulfill this things and much more.
It is very, very interesting.

Which player would you buy for using rockbox? (And which one if rockbox
would not matter?)

As I see, Rockbox is only for harddisk-players, not for
flashmem-players. Is this right? I actual did not want to spend to much
money for a device that I am carrying around a lot. Most hd-players do
cost about 300 EUR and more. It would be great to stay below 200 EUR. So
I think I'd stick to flashmem players (perhaps 1GB).

Do you have any suggestions what to buy?

Thank you,

Gert