Subject: Re: Player recommendation?

Re: Player recommendation?

From: ian douglas <id_at_w98.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:08:27 -0700

> 3) Can be used under linux with USB 2.0, its just an 2,5 inch HD
> (which are used in laptops aswell)

Actually, the HD's in the H300 series are 1.8" HD, otherwise I'd have
swapped mine out a long time ago. The H320 is a single-platter HD, and
the biggest on the market the last time I checked was a 40GB model that
you could swap out ... The H340 is a dual-platter HD, and I believe
there's an 80GB dual-platter 1.8" drive out there.

> 4) You can file/directorie browse and ID-tags based (sort on artist,
> genre or album)

ID tag browsing is only supported on MP3 format, and only if the
filename is 52 characters or less (some limitation on the database that
ships with iRiver ... which is why I ripped everything in ogg format and
wrote my own Perl scripts to generate play lists for me)

> 5) It has video support

The International version of the player apparently does this quite
easily - the US version (which I have) has to have a firmware upgrade to
play video, and there are limitations on the resolution and frames per
second.

> Video support was and still is a big pro for me. And the nicest
> feature of them all is USB on the go

Again, supported 100% on the international version of the player, the US
version has quite a hack (including splicing a USB cable) to get
USB-on-the-go to work.

--
Ian Douglas
blogs/photos: http://www.thedouglasclan.com/