Subject: Re: Noise canceling headphones

Re: Noise canceling headphones

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:13:10 -0400

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:17:59 +0200, Jochen Schulz <ml_at_well-adjusted.de>
wrote:

>Neon John:
>>
>> If you don't mind spending a little extra for the best, consider some
>> Etymotics. I have an ER4P and love them. [...]
>> If you look around you can find them discounted about $100 under list.
>
>OMFG, I don't even want to know the list price when they are at ebay for
>239 Euros! If I had the chance to test them, maybe I'd put them on my
>wishlist but I think for daily use they are far too expensive.
>
>Can you say something about the ER6(i)? Are they still so much better
>than the Sony headphones?

Sorry, don't know. For things that I use a lot and that will probably
be rugged and last a long time, I tend to buy the best. I have the
patience to do without or do with less while I save my nickels :-) My
research pointed to the ER4Ps.

The quality doesn't really hit home until you handle a set of these
phones. The wire is very flexible and yet very strong and has a nice
feel. The strain reliefs are very large. The transducers are tiny.
Once you've had them in for awhile, you literally forget they're
there.

I use Koss Portapros for my non-ear-plug listening, some of the best
out there in the under-$100 range, and yet I've sent 3 pair back on
the unlimited warranty because the wire has pulled out of the strain
reliefs. I have another two that need to go back. That's $7 ea for
S/H which adds up. I've ended up buying 4 pair just to make sure I
have at least a couple on hand at any moment. I love the sound of the
PortaPros but if Etymotics made headphones to the same quality as
their ear phones, I'd have a set in a heartbeat, more or less
regardless of the cost.

John
---
John De Armond