Subject: Re: I vote for splitting this list in two

Re: I vote for splitting this list in two

From: David Pedersen <dav-ped_at_frisurf.no>
Date: 2005-10-14

I think it is a great idea to split the list. It will give all parts an
opportunity to subscribe to the information they really want.

To make things the easiest way, I sugest we keep this list ast the user's
list. This because people already are aware of it, subscribed to it, and
familiar with it. Then, upon creating a new developer's list, those who want
that information, may take the necessary steps to subscribve it. Only one
thing: If any of the users has a feature they want to have implied in the
upcoming versions of Rockbox, and this feature gives the basis for more
inputs, where is he to post that message? In the user list, or in the
developer list?

I too agree, we need an Email list. Lots of people still don't have access
to high speed internet, that provides you with unlimited online time. They
still want to get the full information from the list. If they are to go to a
forum, and stay online for hours, so as to participate in the ongoing
discussions, and pay for all this time, we may lose them. This will be too
bad, first of all, because we might not reach them with important upgrade
information, and next, because they may have experiencies and inputs that
will serve the interest of all on the list.

There has been a suggestion on making a seperate list for blind users. I am
blind myself, and can appriciate the idea. I don't think it is any good,
though. Most truly, it will end up with only blind useres (or almost that),
and we will lose out on the help sighted people can leave us. Rather, to all
of you sighted ones in here: When there is a question on how to do this or
that, don't just tell us to look on the display. Not all people on this
globe have that opportunity...:) And please forbare with us, when we
sometimes insist on getting more specific details. For instance, some
screenreaders (the software that we are using to read the computer screen)
does not work properly with PDF-files. And the text edition of the manual
isn't really good.

Thanks for considering,
David