Subject: 4. Re: ot headphone recomendation (Gert Brinkmann)

4. Re: ot headphone recomendation (Gert Brinkmann)

From: Mike Copperwhite <heager_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:35:31 +0100

> If you want high quality
> sounding earplugs you could take a look at ethymotics products (they
> have one for AFAIR 99$ and others for 399$). (I did not hear them yet.)

I use the Etymotics Er4s (actually Er4p + conversion cable) with H140 and
RockBox. They're really great - the resolution made me appreciate the limits
of my iPod and upgrade to iRiver. Extremely clear and very good noise
isolation but that means you have to be very cautious walking around using
them. Er4s are quite hard for a portable like H140 to drive - Er4p work
better but aren't quite as refined. RockBox bass boost is useful for both
types. They seal quite deeply in the ears so no good if you hate earplugs.

Some people rate Shure instead but I was really unimpressed with the sound
and comfort of Shure e2c when I tried them. Haven't tried the cheaper
Etymotic er6 but have heard good reports about them. There's loads of
discussion about these headphones and every other type at the excellent
www.headfi.org.

hth (or maybe just confuses further...)