Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 2, Issue 42

Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 2, Issue 42

From: Heager <heager_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:37:40 +0100

> [...] Er4s are quite hard for a portable like H140 to drive - Er4p
> work better but aren't quite as refined. RockBox bass boost is useful for
> both types. [...]

>Um, sorry, but you spend so much money on good earphones and then you
>still have to use an equalizer to have good sound? Do you do that
>irrespective of the earphones you are wearing, have you tried for
>example Koss "The Plug" or one of the Sony MDR EX[57]1?

I'm not a fan of lots of bass. I love clarity in music.

I've heard Koss over-ear headphones and Sennheiser PX200 and various other
full size headphones such as Beyer DT231, Sennheiser HD590. Etymotic er4 are
in a different class for accuracy and clarity IMO. With amazing clear
extended un-bloated bass.

The only headphone I've heard which is not outclassed for clarity by the
Etymotic 4s are my full size Sennheiser HD600. But they are hard to drive
than most portable headphones and a little bass light on most portable
sources so a little RockBox bass boost helps. The accuracy and clarity more
than make up for any potential distortion caused by the digital bass boost.

Downsides: Not good if you like *lots* of bass. Not for jogging. No good if
you don't like earplugs. No good if you really need to hear background
sounds (e.g. you like to cross roads without looking).

I read the reviews and debate on headfi and then bought some and wasn't
disappointed. If you don't like them you could probably sell them there
without making much loss or pick up a second hand pair (the drivers are
pretty durable). The real downside is that you'll want to start spending
more on the rest of your system to match up to the Etymotics (the
traditional greeting for newbies is 'sorry about your wallet').

Hmm bit of a ramble for OT. Sorry. Check out www.headfi.org for more info.